Sunday, June 19, 2016

Math Workstations: How to Make Them Work 

If you teach K-3 and teach math, I recommend reading Debbie Diller's math workstation book. This is an easy read, and is FULL of amazing and easy ideas for math workstations. In my classroom, I call it Math Workshop. Since I already have Reader's and Writer's Workshop, I like to stick with the same lingo. 

I have 9 tubs of math games that I switch out to spiral the skills and concepts that I've already taught in math. So, if I've already taught money concepts, then the following week, I put money games and activities into my 9 tubs. I usually put the same game twice, so tub #1 and tub #5 may have the same game. That way I'm not having to scrounge around trying to find all 9 games for 9 tubs. Here is a picture of my math tubs that I use. I bought them at Lakeshore:

Math Workstation Tubs


I love these tubs, they are narrow, light and easy to put the games into. I teach the students how to carry them with two hands to not spill the games out. I also have a Math Workshop chart that I use every day so the students know which tub to get. 

Here is my math station chart:
Math Workshop and Literacy Center Rotations
I have both of my center rotation boards together, but as you can
see, my math workshop is on the left side.
I used the numbers that are in Debbie Diller's book to label my tubs and label my chart. Every day I switch the numbers so that the students get to play a different game. This helps spiral the skills if you want to keep something in the rotation that is tricky like place value or unknown numbers.
I like to have three different games that the students can choose: The first game is the new game of the new skill, the second game is a math 100's chart puzzle, and the third is a set of addition and subtraction flash cards. This way, the students will not get bored with the first game, and if they have extra time, they can always play the other two games. But, I tell them they need to start with the new game first. I take the time to show the students each new game as I add them. I have one student sit with me on the carpet and model to the class what it looks like and sounds like.
I spend about 30 minutes for math workshop every day. I also meet with a small math group and work with those students who need extra math support from me. I have numbers hot glued to the walls around the classroom that match the numbers on the tubs. So, for example tub #3 has to sit where spot #3 is in the room. It's always in the same spot... just different students! 
I also tell the students to sit knee to knee... the same as they sit for buddy reading during reader's workshop. I have shelf liners in their tubs that they need to put down on the floor first and then their games go on top of the shelf liners. This way their supplies are all together and not spread out. It helps them with organization.
Here are some pictures of my students doing their math tubs: 

Building Shapes with Tangrams

Solid Shape Sorting
Geoboards

BUMP

If the game has a template that the students need to write on, then I laminate them, or use a clear sheet protector for the students to write on with EXPO markers. I also tell them to take some tissue with them to their spot so they can erase their marker.
When it's time to clean up, they have to fold their shelf liner neatly, and place everything back into the box in an organized way so it looks nice for the next group. Here is an example of my BUMP games for each month. All you need for these games are 2 groups of 10 unifix cubes and two 6 sided dice. 




If you're interested in checking out my BUMP games, click here .


This is my Lego Tally and Counting Activity. All you need is a bag of assorted legos of all colors. The students sort them, count them, put tallies and graph them. 

Building Block Tally and Counting



If you're interested in checking out my Lego Tally and Counting activity, click here .
I hope you have a chance to try Math Workstations in your classroom, because your students will LOVE them and this will give them a chance to really improve on their math skills with games and activities. And...who doesn't love games? They won't even know they are learning new math skills! 

Love,
Kara


                                   






No comments: